You may be looking to start a low carb eating program and not sure what to do, how to start, what and when to eat – just so many questions which is confusing you no end.
There are many versions of eating low carb as well. Our definition prioritises protein (preferably meat and fish) for each meal and snack, supplemented with low carb vegetables (mainly greens), some low carb fruits (mainly berries) and some good fats like avocado, olive oil, coconut oil and butter and ghee if you can tolerate dairy.
When we make changes to existing habits (especially changing how you eat) it takes time to cement-in these new habits. To ensure success, these new habits need to be easy to do and maintain for life, give you a sense of achievement and control over your new eating habits and ensure that you don’t feel hungry or suffer any food cravings.
These 7 Food Tips will help with planning and meal preparation:
- Pre-plan your meals and shopping – this could be done weekly or bi-weekly and saves you time and money
- Buy fresh whole foods – meat and fish, vegetables and fruit, dairy, oils
- Minimise packaged and processed foods which are higher in carbs and calories
- Herbs and spices create flavoursome meals
- Eat every meal from a plate with a knife and fork – meat and veg/meat and salad
- Don’t eat in front of the TV (or even with it on in the background) or in the car
- Discover what your daily carb tolerance is for your best weight
These 7 Kitchen Tips will make cooking easier and save you time and money:
- Stock your fridge and pantry only with low carb basics – no cakes and biscuits
- Invest in a steamer, cast iron frypan and a slow cooker
- Sharp knives and cutting boards are a must
- Glass containers for food storage
- Prepare tomorrow’s lunch from tonight’s left-overs
- Double recipes and freeze left-overs
- Dishwasher (LOL) as you’ll find yourself doing more cooking
These 7 Sleep and Exercise Tips ensure that your body stays toned and well rested:
- Only consume coffee and chocolate (if you must!) before noon
- Try soda water or mineral water with added lemon or lime
- Go to bed early to ensure 7-8 hours of good quality sleep
- Remove TV and mobile phone from your bedroom
- Establish a regular bedtime routine – 7 days a week
- Enjoy an early morning walk or exercise, sunshine is a bonus
- Schedule 1-2 resistance exercise sessions a week
When these tips no longer become a chore, they are part of your day-to-day enjoyment of managing your weight and health, then it may be time to add some further tips and new habits. Enjoy the process and the journey.
If you would like to get started on a low carb eating plan click on the Lose Weight Now button at the top of this page.